Thursday, January 17, 2008

Ask the Buddha



For Christmas I received a "Ask the Buddha" plastic statue which
works like the "Magic 8 Ball" which was popular a few years ago.
To ask the Buddha a question you shake the statue then turn it over and read one of twenty possible Zen like responses. For example : Seek Enlightenment, or Live with Joy, or Where is my monkey, or Seek the truth etc. There is a little 20 sided geometric
figure that floats in some kind of liquid. A 20-sided flat figure (polygon) is called an icosagon. If it is a solid figure--three-dimensional--it is an icosahedron. You can have very in depth conversations with the Buddha or shallow if you prefer:
Me: What should I do today, Buddha?
Buddha: Live with Joy
Me: Should I go to the all you can eat buffet?
Buddha: You are not ready.
Me: Should i vote for a Democrat or Republican?
Buddha: You know the answer.
Me: But which one?
Buddha: Seek the truth
Me: maybe i should just go back to bed?
Buddha: Meditate on it
Me: Seriously, what should I do today?
Buddha: Rub my belly
... Such is the life of the retiree.

No comments: