Wednesday, September 19, 2007

my brain visits the neurolgist


Dr Venema the neurologist concurred with the ER doctor and concluded that I had a seizure. He wants me to do some additional tests to try to determine the cause. I opted to have the other tests done in Iowa because he said they might take 2 or 3 weeks to schedule and perform here. The catscan showed a dark patch on my brain which he said looked like an old injury rather than a tumour (but further tests would give a better look. He wondered if i knew what caused it. The only thing I can
recall was a concussion i received playing sandlot football when i was a freshman in
college. I was briefly knocked out and had several hours of distorted consciousness
but seemed fine the next day. It may not turn out to be the cause but it boggles the
the mind(in more ways than one) that a bump on the head could cause a seizure 40 years later. The dr gave me some anti-seizure medication and advised me not to drive for 6 months. In Washington and Iowa it is deemed legal and medical advisement but in California they actually take your drivers license away. Not driving puts a real
crimp in my travel plans for the next few months. I feel really bummed out and feel very badly that i have to disrupt my brother and his family life so much. He has been a great sport about it and claims he is looking forward to an iowa visit. Aimee has been a wonderful support.( note there is something wrong with this keyboard and though i am a bad typist this keyboard is exaggerating my flaws).

No comments: