Tuesday, October 2, 2007

random thoughts - lemonaid

there are a couple of Robert Frost poems I encountered
in college that keep rambling around in my memory:
A two line couplet :

The Span Of Life
The old dog barks backwards without getting up.
I can remember when he was a pup.

and
The Oven Bird

There is a singer everyone has heard,
Loud, a mid-summer and a mid-wood bird,
Who makes the solid tree trunks sound again.
He says that leaves are old and that for flowers
Mid-summer is to spring as one to ten.
He says the early petal-fall is past
When pear and cherry bloom went down in showers
On sunny days a moment overcast;
And comes that other fall we name the fall.
He says the highway dust is over all.
The bird would cease and be as other birds
But that he knows in singing not to sing.
The question that he frames in all but words
Is what to make of a diminished thing.


when hopes falter, expectations fail and dreams
suddenly realizing the lack of wings
feel their weight and fall
when metaphors grow old and bite
what do you make of a diminished thing ?

The answer? take a bus, take a train, make lemonaid?

2 comments:

gg said...

Wednesday
October 3, 2007
approaching 1700 hours (central)

Art --

Glad to see you're still blogging. And your entry today was right on. Do your friends from work all know that October 14th (the Sunday after next and the 941st birthday of the English language) is your 60th birthday. Any big plans to celebrate? I put a card in the mail yesterday, but you may not receive it until after you visit KC this weekend. Did you get my recent phone message about all that -- Marie, the tapes, etc?

It's too early to say much about my new gig with the same old cast of characters. Stay tuned. I've been playing around with blogs to practice my lame computer skills and to create a number of spaces in cyberspace where I can file various creative output by catagory. When you get 15 minutes, you might enjoy glancing at what I've done thusfar. I realize that my method may seem mad to many, but there's nothing new in that -- nor in the rebuttal that I've usually tended to turn out to know what I was doing.

Here then are the the beginnings of some of the blogspots I've been playing around with now for the past month or so. First, the title of each, then the address that'll get you to each. Let me know what you think.

The Toolmaker's Other Son
thetoolmakersotherson.blogspot.com

Galen Green
galengreen.blogspot.com

Happy Peasant Heretic
happypeasantheretic........

Ecclesiastes 9:16 (KJV)
ecclesiastes916kjv...........

Mythoklastic Therapy Institute
mythoklastictherapyinstitute......

Symposium Mythoklasticum
symposiummythoklasticum.........

Mythdiver
mythdiver..........

Candor Vendor
candorvendor.........

Robin Starveling in the House of Light
thehouseoflight............

Randomnalities
randomnalities..........

(& of course, mythoklast.blogspot.com -- the all-text grandparent of them all, which is, indeed, cursed with a tragically unchangable template -- quite different from this one here or from those listed above).

WARNING: NONE of the blogs listed above is completely set us yet!!! (Give me another week or two.....)

That's all for now. Travel safely, through both time AND space. And good luck with the "lemonaid;" we all have faith in your lemonaiding skills.

Autumnally,

Galen

BMW said...

60!! And to that I say, "Holy Shit!" I am "pushing 60," an expression which mostly makes me think of Sisyphus. How did we miss your birthday - you should get some younger friends with better memories.
Keep posting! xoxo B